The Evian Castle was one of the Savoy court’s favourite residences. Built by Count Peter II in the middle of the 13th century, it is a square enclosure with 45 m of sides, guarded at each corner by a round tower.
Its access is defended by a drawbridge spanning the Bennevy brook. To the north, facing the lake, is the count’s main building. The walls, two meters thick and ten high, are extended by the ramparts of the city that descend to the shore, punctuated with towers and pierced with four gates. Abandoned by the Dukes of Savoy at the end of the 14th century, the castle was occupied by the Valaisans, then invested by the troops of the King of France and dismantled in 1591. Three towers, remnants of the ramparts, can be seen above the Rue Nationale.
Rue de la Source de Clermont